History

A public meeting was held on April 9th, 1941 at the Saint Basil’s Hall for the purpose of the establishing a Volunteer Fire Department, by the Hetko brothers, in Maplewood.  Alex Hetko was appointed chairman of this public meeting.  After a long discussion, a Volunteer Fire Department was established.  The following persons were elected to office at this meeting: Joseph Hetko, Chief; John Hetko, Assistant Chief; Charles Tarbay, Captain; John Kowansky, First Lieutenant and Metro Fedorchak, Second Lieutenant.

Joseph Hetko, President; John Senick, Vice President; Bohdan Banit, Secretary; Samuel Washinko, Treasurer and Nickolas Marzinksy, Sergeant at Arms.

Alex Hetko, Director; Metro Hetko, Director and John Machnick, Director

The Maplewood Volunteer Fire Department was incorporated on June 13th, 1941. 

The Maplewood Volunteer Fire Department’s telephone and controls for blowing the siren were located at the Fire Chief’s house, Joseph Hetko, 22 Lansing Avenue, until the summer of 1953.  The Maplewood Volunteer Fire Department’s telephone number was 96.  Fire calls were received at the Fire Chief’s house.  The siren was blown from the Fire Chief’s house with a CODED DISC system.  Fifteen codes, separate siren blows, were used to inform firemen of the exact location of the fire.  As a backup system, a Maplewood Volunteer Fire Department telephone was installed at Jake Spiak’s restaurant to receive fire calls and blow the siren.  If needed, fire calls were also received at Archie Jupin’s Gas Station, Henry Oligney’s Gas Station and Valentine and Talay’s Garage.

Since we had no firehouse when the Maplewood Volunteer Fire Department was established, our fire truck and fire equipment were located at Mr. and Mrs. John Senick’s garage, 3 Elm Street, until 1948.

Our first truck, delivered to us on July 1st, 1942, was a 1929 five hundred gallon Mack Pump Truck with a 160 gallon booster tank and 217 feet of ladders which included a 50 foot extension ladder and a 35 foot extension ladder.  Because of the ladder, our first truck was available for assistance to all the Volunteer Fire Departments in the Town of Colonie. 

As of August 1st, 1942, the Maplewood Volunteer Fire Department received an excellent BB or 5 fire insurance rating classification.  Today, the Maplewood Volunteer Fire Department has the same fire insurance rating classification resulting in very low insurance premiums on the buildings and contents there in located in our Fire Protection District.

The Maplewood Volunteer Fire Department firemen received training in 1942 and 1943 at the Troy Fire Department Training School and the firemen were granted diplomas from New York State Municipal Fire Training School. 

We received money to purchase our firefighting equipment and to operate our Fire Department from dues, bingo, clam steams, raffles, dances, carnivals and house to house canvas for contributions to 1948.

The Maplewood Volunteer Fire Department, with pride and joy, was host and sponsored the 19th Annual Convention of the Hudson-Mohawk Volunteer Firemen’s Association on July 19th and 20th, 1946.  Ninety seven Volunteer Fire Departments participated in the extensive activities in Maplewood.

A public meeting was held September 3rd, 1947 to establish a Fire Protection District.

The Maplewood Volunteer Fire Department purchased land next to the Maplewood Grammar School from Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Kulzar where our firehouse was built and dedicated on June 19th, 1949.  Mike Baran, an Honorary Member of the Maplewood Volunteer Fire Department, was the architect for this firehouse.

seal

Maplewood Volunteer Fire Department
61 Cohoes Rd. Watervliet, N.Y. 12189
Incorporated as a Fire Protection District on June 13, 1941.
Phone: 518-273-1200 Emergencies Dial 911